While driving to work one morning several months ago, my “guys” (my Spirit Guides) gave me a somewhat vague outline of possible titles for several newsletters up through the beginning of 2020. I had some beautiful inspirations and was able to jot down all of the titles when I reached my destination. But I didn’t have time to make many detailed notes as I was interrupted by the arrival of a new client, and many of the specifics were lost. As each succeeding month rolled around, I found that I was able to recreate the bulk of that inspiration with only a little work and relatively little difficulty. That is, until I got to the January, 2020 newsletter.
Ever since that drive into work that morning I have had the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel’s “Messiah” and the 4th movement of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony (“Ode to Joy”) popping into my head at odd hours of the day. The message was clearly that “Joy” was to be the topic this month, but I already knew that. And try as I might, the only “specifics” I received from Spirit were the next few bars of those musical masterpieces and the phrase “Don’t worry, it will come when you need it.” (Just as clearly, Spirit has been working on my trusting and patience—or lack thereof—as part of the process!)
I have written on this subject before (see Joy versus Happiness and How Can I Find Joy?, but there are many important aspects to this topic. For many months I have been teaching and writing about this in my forthcoming Dancing with the Energy books, and the advent of a new year is an opportune time to add to my previous thoughts on Joy.
All of my most important teachers are very clear in connecting Joy to Aligning your life energies with Higher Self. For example, Abraham (the collective consciousness of Spirit as channeled by Esther Hicks) says:
• “Your work is to go forth into this physical environment looking for things that are a vibrational match to joy, connecting to Source Energy, and then following with the inspired action.” ~ Abraham (Virginia Beach, VA, April 12, 1997)
Maitreya (channeled by Margaret McElroy) concurs, but places more emphasis on spiritual development:
• “I am often asked, ‘Maitreya, what can I do to become more spiritual?’ and I say to the person, ‘Think not of yourself, but of God.’ If you forget about yourself and your needs and concentrate on the needs of God, then you are on your way to a higher vibration. ‘But what does God want?’ I can hear you say. God needs you to stop thinking about your needs and desires and to think about what you can do to help humanity, whether it is supporting a child from a poorer country, enabling the child’s village to have clean water and eventually crops, or teaching another person how to open up their spirit. There are many ways to help God … in the work of humanity. … While you are wrapped up in your own desires, the work of God … (bringing peace, hope and joy to the world) cannot function. Once you take your desires away from your own needs, the most amazing things happen. You actually start to achieve abundance! Until you can be aware of this, you cannot see the bigger picture. Neither can you manifest what you desire for yourself. It is called Selflessness. You do not think of Self, but of God.” ~ Maitreya (Newsletter #51, August 20, 2002)
Paramhansa Yogananda (1893-1952; Indian yogi and spiritual teacher; author of Autobiography of a Yogi, 1946) repeatedly made this same basic point in his writings as well as in one of his chants, “God Alone.” He also made repeated references to “Ever-New Joy” as one of the primary goals of human life on the Earth plane.
So, what is this “Ever-New Joy” Yogananda talked about? Why is it “Ever-New?” The answer is that it is so ineffable, so indescribable, you simply cannot get tired of it. It bubbles up from within, and all you can do is to simply “en-joy” (fill) every indescribable moment of your life with it. In short:
• “Ever-New Joy is God.” ~ Sri Yukteswar (1855-1936; guru of Paramhansa Yogananda)
As I describe in my books, “Conscious Living is the process of stacking the deck of life in your favor moment by moment as you progress toward the goal of ‘ever-new joy’—Alignment with Higher Self.” The point is that, whether you want to manifest abundance or to raise your vibration, the basic process is the same. There is an old saying, “In for a penny, in for a pound.” In other words, no matter what your primary interest or emphasis in life, there is only one sure way to proceed toward either goal, and you get the benefits of both!
All three of these teachers agree that the process of Alignment with Higher Self can only occur given the right intention or motivation. For example, many people believe that serving others is the key to spiritual advancement. However, if your motive for helping others is based on a concern for earning their approval (to prove your own self-worth), you are only fooling yourself. This is what Maitreya was referring to above when he wrote of “Selflessness” as a concern for God rather than an underlying concern for yourself.
Abraham agrees, expressing it very directly in the following quote:
• “If you make your relationship with your Inner Being your top priority, and you deliberately choose thoughts that allow your alignment [with your Inner Being, your Higher Self], you will consistently offer the greatest advantage to the others with whom you interact. Only when you are aligned with your Source do you have anything to offer another. If your behavior is influenced by your desire to keep another person happy, you will lose your Connection to your Source. And it is not possible for you to be happy unless you are in alignment with your Source. Without that alignment, you have nothing to offer another. … Rather than attempting the impossible task of trying to behave in ways that please others, show them the ease of finding your consistent alignment. You will always find happiness inside your Vortex. And the happiness that they are seeking is inside their Vortex.” ~ Abraham (Getting into the Vortex Guided Meditation CD and User Guide, 2010)
I will grant that it is often very difficult to stay positive in a world that daily throws negativity in our faces in terms of the human condition and the state of this world. But there is a way to combat this tendency and to regain control of our thoughts and emotions. It begins with staying focused on Alignment with Higher Self in thought, word, and deed. How does one do that? Maitreya has some very practical tips to assist in this department:
• “During the last earth year, much fear has been generated around the world from … acts of terrorism. … This has created much fear in the hearts of many people. … To all of you who read this … I am asking that you do a few things for me, and for the world.
“First, do not give any energy to fear. It is a negative tool, and a tool the [Lower] Self uses well. However, if you do not subscribe to it and give it no energy, it will not be a problem.
“Second, refrain from discussing the matter. Each time it is discussed, it gives it more energy!
“Third, do not subscribe to the mass consciousness of fear. You are the creator of your own reality. If you worry and have fear, you will draw that into your energy. If anything is going to happen, then it will, and you cannot stop it. You can however, enjoy life far more by not giving energy to it.” ~ Maitreya (Newsletter #61, December 19, 2002)
In an uncertain and changing world, fear is a natural human response. But when you are motivated by fear, you are not thinking of God first, if at all; you are focused on yourself. So how can you tell if you are motivated by fear? Easy. If you are not regularly experiencing Joy in your life, it doesn’t require a degree in rocket science to determine that fear of one kind or another is the primary basis for that lack. It sounds all too simple, but it works every time.
Maitreya has words of wisdom for us to consider as we face a new year with the same old problems and probably many new ones as well. His words are as true today as they were two decades ago when he wrote them:
• “For many souls, the next few earth years will bring much change. Embrace the change; do not fear it. Look upon change as an adventure waiting to be explored. Fear nothing, for what you fear you will for certain draw into your energy and it will become a reality. Let go of all fear and uncertainty and move forward in joy, not in fear or doubt. … At this time of the earth year, may I wish all of you a joyous and prosperous year, with all that you wish it to be. Your thoughts are what create the future. Let those thoughts be of high vibration and positive energy!” ~ Maitreya (Newsletter #7, December 31, 2000)
Regarding the future, think about these words from Maitreya:
• “I would like to wish all of you a very wonderful year. … It can be anything you want; you are creating it now.” ~ Maitreya (Newsletter #61, December 19, 2002)
Please join me in my efforts to think positive thoughts and reach for feeling greater joy in life every moment of each day. It won’t be easy, but what is the alternative? Only more of the same. Your thoughts do create your reality. It isn’t what happens to you in life, it is how you respond to what happens to you. Think about that.
Happy New Year and have a great month!