What is “Truth”?
I have spent a major portion of my life trying to find “truth”, and most of my life I believed that I had found it. I have always believed that there is a single, all-encompassing “truth” and that differences between one truth and another were just “variations on a theme.” But it was the theme that was important. Funny thing, as I look back on my life regarding this subject, I have traded one truth for another on many occasions. I can’t honestly say that all of them were just variations on a theme. Some of those “truths” were almost a paradigm shift that came as “aha moments” in a burst of enlightened enthusiasm. But most of them developed as a slow, quiet realization of a new and deeper understanding of what I had previously believed. Looking back at the entire process from beginning to the present is like looking for a common denominator between a horse and a rocket ship. I guess the theme of “transportation” might suffice, but oh what a difference!
One of the most profound shifts in my “truth” came about when I discovered the teachings of Maitreya. Actually, one of things that attracted me most was the fact that everything I read and everything I heard from Margaret McElroy as she channeled Maitreya was the “slow, quiet realization of a new and deeper understanding of what I had previously believed.” At that point in my development I had arrived at a “truth” that made sense to me, but Maitreya’s teachings took the general theme and integrated the best of all the seemingly disparate beliefs (variations) and turned them into a consistent, unified whole. There was a convergence of teachings and concepts, and it resonated with me completely. I undertook a systematic study of Maitreya’s teachings which continues to the present. Gone were the inconsistencies, gone was the organizational dogma, gone was anything aside from the relationship between me and my Higher Self, Ultimate Being, God – whatever label you might wish to choose – except for one thing.
In more than twenty of his newsletters (and I don’t know how many oral channelings), Maitreya repeatedly made the point that “each man has his own truth, and one’s man’s truth is another man’s folly” (Maitreya Newsletter #231, April 21, 2009). Over and over this concise “theme” is repeated in many different variations, too numerous to repeat here. This teaching makes “truth” seem entirely relative – totally a matter of one’s own understanding independent of any “wrong” versus “right” or what “God says” or anything concrete. You can imagine how this propeller-driven airplane of an idea compared to the “horse” concept with which I was raised. After all, most of the great religious traditions of the world taught a “standard” of what truth is even if they expressed it in different ways or provided a different rationale – the “variations on a theme” notion. But not Maitreya. I was still looking for the rocket ship, but couldn’t find it.
Even in my early studies of Maitreya’s writings I eventually came to expect that he would actually say that “there is no (absolute) truth,” but no such luck. Everybody’s truth is different and everybody’s truth is true – at least for them. I couldn’t understand how everybody’s truth could be true. It sounded like pure chaos to me, and I firmly believed (and still do) that there is order in the universe. I had no trouble at all with the notion that there are different paths to God, and that God didn’t really care what religious tradition a person followed. Those were just variations on the same general theme. But chaos??? Not my rocket ship!
I also found convergence with Maitreya’s message in the writings of Abraham (collective consciousness of Spirit as channeled by Esther Hicks) which resonated strongly with me as well. My confidence in Abraham’s message was reinforced for me when Margaret McElroy remarked that Esther was channeling the Ultimate Being. For example,
• “Forever, physical humans are saying, ‘give me the truth, give me the truth.’ And we say, there are all kinds of truths. Choose the truths that serve you. Now, there are a lot of people that would feel great discomfort with that. But the thing that we want you to hear about it is: there is a truth of cancer, and there is a truth of wellness. Which truth serves you? You can activate either of them within you, and make it your truth. Truths are created; they aren’t static. They aren’t conditions that exist that then it is your obligation to identify and catalog. You are the creator of your truths – and what you are living is your truth.” ~ Abraham (Kansas City, MO, June 1, 2002)
• “Everything is valid and everything is truthful, because Law of Attraction lets everything be. The question is not whether it’s right or wrong, whether their approach is right or wrong, or whether my approach is right or wrong. The question is: Does their approach feel good to me? And if it doesn’t, then I choose a different approach.” ~ Abraham (Los Angeles, CA, August 2, 1998)
• “If something has manifested and you continue to give it your attention, the fact that it is true should really hold no weight with you. The question that we would ask is not, is it true, or is it undeniable? The question that we would ask is, how does it make me feel when I focus upon it? And if the answer to the question is, it doesn’t make me feel very good when I focus upon it, then we would say, true or not, it does not serve you. And if you will activate a different part of your vibration – the ‘truth’ will shift.” ~ Abraham (El Paso, TX, March 28, 2002)
Imagine that! Maybe “truth” really is just a personal understanding after all, just as Maitreya seemed to be saying. Still, I wanted a rocket ship and didn’t have it yet. Then I discovered one of his newsletters that really hit home with me:
• “A while ago I wrote a newsletter on Truth in which I said that each man or woman has their own truth, that one person’s truth is another person’s folly. I reiterate this with a person’s belief in a higher energy. Each soul has its own way of finding its higher energy and the way it communicates with it. It is only when it is interfered with that anarchy follows. A soul should be able to communicate with the Higher energy in its own way. It is personal choice and, if people did not interfere with this choice, the world would be a more peaceful planet. If you criticize another for their belief, you are criticizing yourself, for no soul has the truth of the planet, only their own truth.” (Maitreya Newsletter #272, December 23, 2009)
Thus began my ongoing self-examination regarding judgment (which I wrote about last month). The problem was not chaos. The problem was my demanding uniformity from an infinitely diverse universe. I really didn’t care what the uniformity was, as long as there was a “right” answer when I asked God to “give me the truth, give me the truth.”
OK, but I really wanted a rocket ship, and I finally found it. In only one of his 60+ writings mentioning truth does Maitreya actually give us the key and its rationale.
• “I have said before that every soul has their own truth, but when one leaves the lower levels of consciousness behind and rises through their own work to the higher levels of consciousness, especially to their merging with a master’s energy, then those souls see the same truth! There is no more illusion, for only the Self sees and seeks illusion! The Higher Self can only see the truth and there is only one truth when one reaches the higher levels of vibration. When these levels are reached one does not need modalities of knowledge. One has all knowledge. One has no need for the trappings of the earth plane. Oh yes, one needs still to live, but nothing means anything anymore. There is no need for anything, and one is at peace!” ~ Maitreya (Newsletter #99, February 26, 2004)
And Abraham concurs:
• “So, the truth is, there’s not one path. The truth is, there’s not only one right path. The truth is, all paths can be made to be the right path. The truth is, that every individual has a different path. And that different path that every individual is launching incrementally – and amending constantly – that true path is known by Source and is guided by Source if you will pay attention to the way you feel.” ~ Abraham (Philadelphia, PA, October 13, 2004)
At last – my rocket ship! There really is one truth, and we will realize it when we have raised our vibration sufficiently to understand it. Until then, our limited life experiences do not allow such understanding. We are as “babes in the woods” until such time as we become spiritually mature enough to perceive that truth. To put it another way, we can’t understand calculus until we have mastered, basic arithmetic, algebra, and whatever other lessons we need to learn. That is Maitreya’s very simple and direct message to each of us.
And that’s my understanding, my truth – at least for the moment.